Wednesday, August 4, 2010

DIY Wedding Wednesday: We Wed Econo



I've started reading Michael Azerrad's book Our Band Could Be Your Life about the emergence of indie and punk rock in the 1980's, and I was reading the chapter about The Minutemen on the subway on my way home from work today. I'm still not sure I actually dig The Minutemen's herky jerky, weirdo music all that much, but I have mad respect for their attitude when it came to being in a band. No sense of entitlement, no egos, just a crazy work ethic and dedication to D.I.Y. and touring and releasing records as affordably as possible -- "jamming econo" as they called it.

That's my kind of guys.

I found myself thinking about The Minutemen again tonight as I'm hand-gluing together all the invitations for our wedding. The invitations we designed ourselves with paper we bought from a wholesaler and printed at a local copy shop. It's not unlike self-releasing a 7" or printing up your own show flyers. Just like The Minutemen realized they didn't need to wait for some almighty hand to reach down and make them rock stars like Journey or CCR, they could just Do It Yourself. And they did. So it was with us as we priced out all the professional stationers out there, we realized we could save a thousand bucks if we just got creative.

We wed econo!

photo nabbed from marathonpacks.com

No comments: