Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Kombucha-cha-cha

Recently kombucha has become the hot new health beverage. This fermented tea claims to have fantastic detoxifying effects on the body and may even give you a natural high, it's just that good for the bod. I have friends that swear by it, and I've tried it a couple times hoping to find a sense of well being in a bottle (since the usual bottle doesn't always do the trick).

I can't say I'm convinced that this vinegary, bubbly, living beverage really does anything special. At least not for me. Though I respect, and even envy, friends who so enjoy the healthful effects of kombucha that they are now growing their own "mother fungus" at home to ferment this elixir themselves.

But what I really want to know is, if you spill half a bottle of kombucha in your purse, is a macroscopic solid mass of microorganisms going to grow a mother fungus in there? Um, because I'm a little worried.

2 comments:

Ian said...

It will not cause anything to grow in your bag. But kombucha attracts fruitflies more effectively than anything I've ever seen.

Anonymous said...

Kombucha is not a proper fungus though it looks like one, it is a bacteria